- Where are Welfare booklets for uninsured individuals or Social Protection Certificates issued?
Said booklets and documents are issued by municipal Welfare services :
Joint Ministerial Decision 139491/06 Government Gazette issue 1747/Β/30/11/2006 – Error corection in Government Gazette issue 47Β/22/01/2007)
- Which supporting documents must be submitted?
Please find below a list of the required supporting documents.
1 Solemn statement according to Law 1599/1986, stating that the applicant: a) is unemployed. b) is uninsured. c) is not eligible to receive a pension either in Greece or abroad.D ) in case the applicant is registered with another insurance fund, they must notify the Service immediately and return their booklet. e) do not have private insurance. Income tax notice of assessment (concerning the previous fiscal year, as well as a copy of the tax return for the current year and of the E9 formIF the applicant owns any assets, a copy of the E2 form is also required) . 2 Copy of the applicant's identity card, or copies of all pages of the applicant's passport as well as of their Special identity card for aliens of Greek descent. 3 Proof of permanent residence (utility bill or rental contract), or permanent residence certificate issued by the relevant municipality. 4 Copy of the Unemployment card issued by OAED (Manpower employment organization) for individuals considered capable of employment aged 29 to 55. 5 Two photos (in case the uninsured individual booklet is issued for the first time) 6 Medical opinion issued by a Public hospital stating the type of disease or a certificate of hospital admission in case the applicant is still hospitalized. 7 In case of married applicants, the relevant supporting documents must be submitted for both spouses. Divorced applicants must submit the divorce documents; in case of spousal separation, a solemn statement according to Law 1599/1986 is required, stating that the spouses are separated. 8 Applicants having submitted a pension application to OGA (Agricultural insurance organization) must submit the registration number for the submission of relevant pension supporting documents. 9 In case of disabled applicants, a copy of the relevant opinion issued by the Health committee is required. 10 Certificate issued by an insurance fund, stating that the applicant is not insured and will not receive any medical or hospital care for the year…………..(Certificates of non-insurance issued by the insurance funds IKA ()-OAEE ()-OGA () are obtained automatically by the Service). 11 Certificate of marital status (obtained automatically by the Service). 12 In case of short-term renewal of the booklet (up to 2 months), the existing booklet must also be submitted. 13 Certificate of hospitalisation issued by a public hospitalSUPPORTING DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE ISSUANCE OF A CERTIFICATE OF FIANANCIAL WEAKNESS Tax clearance certificate. 14 Copy of the applicant's identity card (both sides). Other supporting documents according to each specific case.
- Where must the supporting documents be submitted?
The supporting documents must be submitted at the local services of the municipality the applicant belongs.
- How can prospective applicants find out if they are eligible?
Individuals who dwell in Greece permanently and legally and are not directly or indirectly entitled to insurance by any insurance fund are eligible for free medical, pharmaceutical and hospital care.
1 Greek citizens or individuals of Greek descent (aliens of Greek descent, holders of Special identity card for aliens of Greek descent) or stateless individuals or EU member state nationals who are uninsured and whose annual household income does not exceed €6,000, plus 20% for the spouse and each minor or protected child, on condition that saidINCOME does not arise from professional activity which may allow registration with an insurance fund. This income threshold rises by 50% in the case of individuals with a disability rate of 67% or more. In this context, income means the taxable actual or imputed income, as well as income which is exempt from tax or specially taxed.
*owner-occupied properties are not included in the imputed income.
2 Uninsured writers and the members of their families (spouse and minor children).
- Uninsured members of the Chamber of Fine Arts of Greece (EETE) and the members of their families (spouse and minor children), as well as members from EU member states and aliens of Greek descent.
- Uninsured Greek musicians, singers, or other individuals occasionally employed in the performing or auditory arts.
- Uninsured former MPs and the members of their families (spouse and minor children).
- Individuals staying with the rehabilitation therapeutic communities ΟΚΑΝΑ and Nostos or monitored as outpatients.
The beneficiaries mentioned above receive a booklet for uninsured individuals valid for one (1) year.
3 Children staying at Social care homes or other institutions which may be public or private legal entities.
- Veterans of the Greek Resistance force and individuals injured at war, as well as the members of their families.
- Greek monks and monks at the monastery on Mt Sinai, as well as the clergy of the Patriarchates.
- Uninsured unmarried women about to give birth, as well as their children.
- Children placed in foster families.
The beneficiaries mentioned above receive a booklet for uninsured individuals valid for one (1) year.
4 - Aliens of Greek descent holding a certificate of submission of documents to obtain a Special identity card for aliens of Greek descent or to acquire Greek nationality.
- Aliens holding a residence permit for humanitarian reasons (health-related).
- Citizens from states having adopted the European Social Charter.
- Alien spouses of Greek or EU nationals or aliens of Greek descent, as well as their children.
The aforementioned beneficiaries shall receive a social protection certificate as long as they are facing a confirmed medical issue.
5 Pursuant to the provisions ofPresidential Decree . 266 1999
- Genuine political refugees.
- Aliens who have submitted an application for recognition of refugee status, which is under assessment by the Ministry of Public Order. Also,
- Holders of a residence permit for humanitarian reasons or holders of a limited-time permit may receive free medical, pharmaceutical and hospital care by showing their Refugee identity card, or Asylum-seeking alien identity card, or the Special alien residence card for humanitarian reasons, directly to ESY Services.
6 - Aliens who are victims of crimes described in Articles 323,323α,349,351, & 351α of the Penal Code (pursuant to Presidential Decree 233/2003), who are entitled to immediate free medical, pharmaceutical and hospital care provided by ESY Services, for as long as the protection and aid measures last, by simply showing the relevant certificate issued by the competent Police Directorate to ESY Services; the certificate will explicitly mention the duration of protection and aid measures. 7 - Prisoners, inmates of juvenile institutions, youth houses, minors protection societies (public law entities) are entitled to free medical, pharmaceutical and hospital care by simply showing the relevant certificate issued by the juvenile institution, house, or society, directly to ESY Services.
ISSUANCE OF UNINSURED INDIVIDUAL BOOKLET FOR CITIZENS WITH OUTSTANDING DEBTS TO INSURANCE FUNDS
- I am uninsured because I have outstanding debts to the insurance fund I am registered with. Am I entitled to healthcare?
Below you will find a summary of provisions applicable to your case.
Join ministerial decision 139491/2006 Government Gazette Issue 1747/Β/2006)
The following categories are entitled to free hospital, medical and pharmaceutical care, on condition that they do not receive care from any insurance fund and that they reside in Greece legally and permanently:
– Greek citizens, on condition that their income does not arise from professional activity which may allow registration with an insurance fund.
– Legislative Decree. 57/1973 Government Gazette 149/Α/1973), Articles 6 and 1
– Individuals living in a state of poverty
– Socially, physically, or mentally challenged individuals
– Individuals temporarily or permanently in need due to illness
The necessary condition is that said individuals are not insured by any other insurance fund or otherwise covered by their own private means or by their families.
From the above, it follows that the following categories are eligible:
– Citizens and members of their families who may be registered with insurance funds but no longer have insurance rights due to outstanding debts, and have submitted a business interruption or idleness statement to the competent Tax offices, according to circular no. 1102/14-7-2005 (therefore, they are not exercising any professional activity), as long as the conditions defined in Join Ministerial Decision 139491/2006 are met.
– Citizens and members of their families who may be registered with insurance funds but no longer have insurance rights due to outstanding debts, but have not submitted a business interruption or idleness statement to the competent Tax offices, as long as they meet the conditions defined in Join Ministerial Decision 139491/2006. Therefore, the relevant supporting documents and social survey must indicate conditions of poverty (Legislative Decree 57/1973 & Ministerial Decision 7826/1973) and their health condition requires hospitalisation or continuous medical and pharmaceutical care exclusively due to pregnancy, incurable/refractory/chronic disease (Ministerial Decision 16884/2001, Government Gazette Issue 1386/Β/2001 and Joint Ministerial Decision 104747/2012, Government Gazette 2883/Β/2012)
– Consequently, the following conditions must be met:
– Severe life and health risk due to illness
– Loss of right to receive healthcare by an insurance fund due to inability to pay contributions
– Lack of private financial means for the treatment of a health condition.
In any case, the following supporting documents are required:
– Hospitalisation or medical certificate issued by a public hospital
– Certificate issued by the insurance fund stating that the beneficiary is not entitled to receive healthcare.
The booklet is issued exclusively for the person in need of hospitalisation of continuous medical and pharmaceutical care.
The Social Aid Committee preserves the right to impose a contribution fee of 30% at its own discretion in case of partial inability to respond.
The social survey must take into account the applicant’s overall social and financial state, as well as that of their families, especially:
– Their health condition, the type of treatment and the estimated cost against the applicant’s actual INCOME.
– Any other living costs arising from the health condition of family members, especially disabled ones.
– The overall living conditions, as well as the existence of a supportive environment or lack thereof
– Inclusion in other support programmes (settlements for overindebted households, social grocery stores, social pharmacies etc.), which indicates the financial vulnerability of the applicant and their families
– Court order for debt reduction or clearance
– Ability to pay insurance and tax debts, or lack thereof, as well as the possibility for settlement.
The report must necessarily reflect all the above, before concluding with a recommendation to the Social Aid Committee as to whether the condition regarding the impossibility to make payments for the specific disease is met, or the applicant will enter a status of inability to respond to their own needs as well as those of their families.
If the competent Municipality is not able to conduct a social survey, aid must be provided by the respective Regional Unit (Law 3852/2010, Article 186, Par. ΙΙ, Ζ, 15) or by the hospital’s social service.